The Lives and Adventures of the McCune Dickerson Family

Monday, May 26, 2008

North Twin

It has been a long time since I have been able to take a whole day away from home and a telephone, very refreshing. For the week before Aurora's due date, the 2 weeks she was over due, and the first week of her life I opted out of all day excursions. Today with mom and baby doing well I escaped to the Sisters Range. This small range, a mere 20 miles from the ocean, is home to the largest body of exposed olivine in the Western Hemisphere. The rock weathers a rust colored orange, but where it has recenly fractured it reveals its drab green coloring. The texture is rougher than sandstone, but not so sharp to tear up pads, its climbing quality is superb. I lament that there are not longer more sustained route opportunites. The West ridge is an excellent solo with low 5th class scrambling and good exposure. It is hard to beat, only a 30 min drive and 3 hr approach to the base of the ridge. Car to car, 7 hours of good times.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Icarus said...

Looks like fun, we sure do miss the mountains. Nothing like that out here in Indiana.

The Watkins Family said...

Abe

Your daughter is super cute. Good job in staying out of doors. Nothing beats your life right now. Nice work my friend.

Elijah, Steph, Ellis

Fosters said...

Congrats on getting out. That time wandering and enjoying wilderness is definatly at a premium after kids. I took Lily out on Sitka Sound yesterday and explored. I think you'll find tremendous joy teaching your daughter how to be a tough girl. Afterall thats what it takes to get up those hills.

My first excursion up a large hill with Lily was above Ellensburg. I can still remember her facination with the flowers.