The Lives and Adventures of the McCune Dickerson Family

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Mt. Baker Backcountry, First Family Ski Trip

Skiing/Snow conditions in the North West this year have been pretty poor.  We had a huge storm mid December but since then the accumulations have been marginal to meager. One benefit to sparse storms for family skiing is a bombproof snowpack.   This week Shannon and I had our "Reading Week" the Canadian equivalent to a spring break, and decided it was time to take our snow angel out for some turns.    
Kid had a pretty good time. We went out for almost 4 hours with her in the pack on the back and she didn't complain once.  
We skinned for almost 2 hours to the saddle between Table Mtn. and Mt. Herman. By the time we reached our high point Aurora was asleep.  She woke up as we took off our skins and made preparations for the downhill.. 
She was pretty mellow with the actual ski turns, she let out a few "uuuggghhhmmmmppphhhh's" 
Not what I interpreted as squeals of joy, but no tears and no fears.  
We had a great time, and are actually okay with it raining today in hopes that the snow will improve and we can do some more family touring this season.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Abe, this is your buddy Mr. Kellermann thoroughly enjoying your posts. I'm curious how about the process of making turns down a slope with a wee-babe on your back? I imagine that you're thinking, "If I fall, I'm purposefully going to face-plant!"
I'm thrilled to see how beautiful and happy your family is and I look forward to getting in touch again.
Josh